Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 26 & 27 Jan. 17-29, 2011

Hello again. Little slow with the update here. Kinda busy with working at Panerai and going back to school after. Pretty difficult not to be super lazy when I actually get home. But anyways, I got a few things done the last couple weeks so here they are.

Well the last update I had milled the barrel bridge and balance bridge out. The next Monday I got working on the barrel bridge recesses. By 8 that night I had ruined the barrel bridge. It wasn't an execution problem but a design one. The spot I recessed for the click was too deep and I milled into the spot for the reverser wheel. Needless to say I had to make another one. It has become clear to me that I need to make every part 2 times before I get it right. Knowing and accepting this has helped me not lose my sanity after things go wrong.

So anyways, here is the bridge from the top side.


In the next 2 pictures you can see the recess for the click and also the click spring. I didn't really want it to be visible so it will be underneath the click. You can also see beside the post of the click, the jewel that holds one of the reverser wheels. I put it there to have easy access and movability. 



Another thing I was doing was trying to get the bearings for the barrel in and functional. The bearings are made of bronze and will provide a bit more strength than jewels or brass would. This also allows for some adjustment of endshakes on the barrel. As of now they are working but I think they don't have enough side shake so it is a little tight. I'll have to work on that this week. Here you can see the bearings in bronze on the dial side barrel bridge.


As you can also see in the previous I made the holes for the jewels of the reversing wheels. These wheels are part of the power reserve system. I needed to reverse the direction of the barrel to the intermediate wheel on the other side. That intermediate wheel will carry the satellite wheel which is the heart of the power reserve. When the barrel is turning (during normal watch function) the satellite and intermediate wheel will turn around the barrel arbor, which will (through another wheel and rack) turn the power reserve indicator in one direction. When the arbor turns (during the winding of the watch) the intermediate wheel will be blocked by the barrel, but the satellite wheel will turn on the spot. This will turn the gears in the opposite direction, moving the power reserve indicator the opposite way. 

So if that doesn't confuse the entire shit out of you well you are smarter than most. It really isn't easy to depict what I'm talking about in pictures because when it is assembled you can't see all the parts to make an explanation. But I will try my best to show the parts. Here you can see the reversing wheels without the barrel and intermediate wheel. The wheel on the right connects with the barrel teeth (see poorly drawn red teeth). the two reverser wheels connect together, and then the one on the right connects to the intermediate wheel (see poorly drawn blue teeth)


Hopefully this makes sense to someone. If not well I guess ask some questions and I'll try to answer. You might be asking where all the other parts are for the power reserve. Well I didn't have them set up yet so you'll have to wait. Here are a couple more photos of the reversing wheels from the dial and bridge side.



The sad thing about all of this is I had another design flaw. I had set the position of the two reversing wheels too close to each other so when I originally put the jewels in the gears were meshing too much and would not turn smoothly. So after I moved one over (only 0.15mm) I had them working just fine. Heres a video of the system, sorry for the extremely poor quality video. Maybe I'll have to look into a video cam...



Kind of a confusing explanation I'm aware. Oh well.

That's it for now. One other thing is that I noticed I had set my blog for comments from registered users only. Well I changed that so any and all comments are welcome!

4 comments:

  1. There we go this comment thing actually works now. The video is neat to see. Good work!

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool to see!

    i read all your posts today and it's very cool!
    wich course are you doing at wostep?

    greetingz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the full training course which takes 2 years to complete. But the stuff I am doing and reporting on this blog is all extra work and not part of the course. The normal program does not cover this kind of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward for more explanation of the power reserve! i always wanted to know how that worked!

    ReplyDelete