Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Making parts

Just a few pictures on the process of making a screw. It is for a pallet fork holder.

First step is to thread the end

This screw has a different purpose. It's meant to have a spot that I can grab with tweezers to pick up the plate. That's why it looks like this.


And here is the screw pretty much done except the slot for the screwdriver

To make the slot in the head there is a milling attachment for the lathe. It's pretty easy to use and takes about 10-15 minutes.

This is what the screw is for. This plate is a pallet fork holder. In the other hole there will be another screw that hold down a spring that will hold down the pallet fork. Then I'll drill some holes to hold the pivot. I'll provide a better explanation when it's done.

Here is the start of the spring

I'm just polishing this spring right now which is an extremely slow process. I think I spent 6 hours polishing today so far. Just one side to do though thankfully. If it was a screw I'd have been done in 30 minutes. After this I have to blue the spring so it looks nice and then polish the screw to hold the spring to the plate. Might have some pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment