Sunday, October 11, 2009

Watch-not-really-maker

I have received the following question now over a dozen times and feel I should settle the issue:

"So Aaron, have you made any watches yet?"

The final answer to this question is a resounding "Hell NO!" I will try to explain in short form why.

A. It can take some companies 5 years to build some watches with experienced engineers and watchmakers

B. I have only been doing this for 2 months

C. The part of the course I am doing right now is called micro-mechanics

D. The term 'Watchmaker' is not as it sounds. I technically will not be 'making' any watches. Watchmaker is a term given to the skilled individuals who service and repair watches. Here is a link to explain a little better: Watchmaker

E. Although when I am finished the course I will probably possess the skills to make a watch, the time and amount of work put in is ridiculous in comparison to the return if said watch was sold. Maybe this is why most people don't understand why or how a watch could cost over $100,000.

So with that said I hope all of you will understand that it is not really about 'making' watches. It is more about learning how they work and how to fix and repair them quickly and easily. I know it doesn't make sense why I would be called a Watchmaker, but hey I didn't invent the name.

We are however planning to modify a watch in class and will get to build parts for it and add our own personal touch to it. But by no means are we building a watch from scratch. The 2 years of school with no experience would definately not be enough time to complete such a project. I have already been told that a lot of extra hours aside from class are needed to do the school watch. I am looking forward to it and will definately have lots of updates when we start.

No comments:

Post a Comment