Saturday, November 21, 2009

Finished projects

Here are some pictures of the projects I finished last week. The first is the polishing tool I mentioned before and the second is a couple staking blocks. Thanks Rob for mentioning about the plastic one in that forum. I whipped that one up in a couple hours. Just to let you guys know, these tools are not cheap to buy from tool making companies. The plastic staking block I made is bigger than the one you can buy from Bergeon and that one is $60. So I'm glad we are able to make some of these tools rather than buying them.







I have also started a somewhat new section in the course. It is still turning but now it is turning between centers. The reason for this is to create a lot more accuracy in small and important work like balance staffs and pivot gauges. It also makes it so you can remove the piece you are working on to measure and still be able to trust the centering after. This method seemed quite intimidating at first since you have to turn the piece by hand and use the graver with the other. It requires a lot of coordination but it isn't as bad as I thought. Here is a video of what I'm talking about:

1 comment:

  1. I miss turning between centers! I was also quite scared at first but I got the hang of it really fast. It's a great fun.

    And btw, no prob ;-) You should make one tool for me in plastic!

    Reg,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete