Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm a real boy!



I'm a real boy

Ok I always have been but in the words of Pinocchio "I'm a real watchmaker!". But seriously I have actually made a real part that works in an actual watch. How about that. And it's a part that is used by the watch wearer to boot! Maybe this doesn't technically qualify me to be a full watchmaker just yet but hey, feels important to me so suck it!

So what part am I talking about you might be wondering now (if you haven't skipped to a much more interesting blog)? Well it's a winding stem folks. You know, that part that connects the crown you pull out to set the time.


The first two I made (the ones on the outside that look the same) are not really very common dimensions if at all for a real watch. But the one in the middle is fully functional in a 6497 movement. Which coincidentally enough is supposed to be the movement we are basing our school watch on (however there are talks of a completely original WOSTEP movement, cross your fingers!). So this was finally a project that had some more depth and purpose (not to discredit toolmaking in any way). It was nice to finish something that would serve a purpose in a real watch. Anyways, the one in the middle took me about 8 hours to make which seems like a long time but for the 3rd one made in my life I think it's a decent time. The one I made today (no picture) took about 6 hours so it's getting much easier. I was told some people take 3 days or so the first few times. I'm glad this wasn't the case for me since I am not sure I have learned the patience for that just yet!

Scaled picture. Measurements were within .03 mm everywhere on the bottom one. Except the threaded part which I left cause it didn't matter...

1 comment: