Monday, November 1, 2010

Week 13 & 14 Oct 18-30, 2010

Well some good and bad news to tell. The bad news is that the center and third wheel bridge got ruined when I tried to make it the same height as the other bridges. The pins I made for it were pushed in and I drilled the hole too deep so the hole showed through when I tried to even them all out. This led me to the ultimate conclusion that I am going to try and make my own mainplate. Don't ask how I came to that conclusion but I did.

Now that we have a CAD program to help with designing it seemed like a good idea to just make my own mainplate. That way I don't have to plug all the holes in the 6498 one. This will also help with my power reserve and moon phase design as I can just incorporate it into the design of the mainplate and won't have to add a module on top.

Unfortunately this means a LOT more work. We have ordered the german silver which I will use for the mainplate and all new bridges and it should be here next week. German silver is actually way nicer for bridges and mainplates anyway so that is another positive thing.

Here are some pics of the ongoing design and planning. I will have to write out a very specific schedule to make this mainplate as it has a lot of different depths and places to mill.


Dial side, very complex!! Each color is a different height of milling. And I don't have a computer to mill this out. I have to set it all by hand and be sure of everything at every step. 14 different depths!


Bridge side, a little less complicated... but as you can see, 9 different depths.


I have done a lot of designing and drawing out on the computer of almost every part so that I can plan the milling and making of parts better and faster. I really don't think I would be doing my own mainplate without this program.

As I mentioned a long time ago, I will be putting a power reserve into the watch. Power reserve indicates how much power the watch has before it needs to be wound. Anyways, I finally figured out a good way to do it. It took me whole day to figure it out, with the help of my classmates and Mr. Accolla as well. I will have to take a picture of the design once I get it drawn out on the CAD program. I have the section view built up but not the top view. But if you know anything about the power reserve in most JLC watches then it is similar to that. I'm really excited to see it work. And I only have to make one wheel and pinion!! I will also have to make a new barrel arbor to fit the new system.

So that's it for that part. I am still designing things as I go and drawing more of the parts on the CAD. Hopefully I will have a copy of every part on there at some point so I can have it for personal use sometime in the future. I think it'll be quite handy.

Other than all that, I started to get into finishing some parts. Some of the parts I know I won't need until the end. The original 6498 minute wheel will now serve as the wheel for the moon phase and also for the setting of the hands. So I got rid of the pinion and it will have a larger post. I also created a new design for it. Just some milling out of new spokes. the pin on the wheel is to move the star wheel for the moon phase. I will take some pics of the system this week. I also did a bit of electroplating on these wheels. They won't be touched until the final assembly so I figured I would just do some of that now.

Here you can see the original minute wheel (top right). The wheels on the left side are just three different looks for the new system. You can see the pin for the star wheel. And now there is no pinion on it because it has no use anymore (cause the hour and minute are not in the center anymore). The wheel middle right is the new minute wheel. And the wheel bottom right is the new hour wheel. The four bottom wheels are circular grained and plated with rose gold. I think they look pretty sweet! The pictures really don't do any of these wheels justice. The top left is just original brass, and the top right is how the wheel comes from the manufacturer.


Closer...


Which wheel on the left do you prefer, top middle or bottom?? I can't decide...


As I am posting this Monday, I guess some of these next pics are from today, but oh well. I finished decorating the barrel drum and cover and plated them with rhodium. I made a curved sunburst pattern on the wheels and the pattern is mirrored to look the opposite on the drum and cover. Much easier to show in person I guess. Plus these pictures are pitiful so I'll have to try them again.

I guess you can't really tell how different they are, I'll have to have a photo session this week and try a little harder to show some details.


Are you wondering why the hell there are cap jewels in my barrel cover? Well it's because the power reserve has a large wheel that sits on top of the cover and I didn't want it to rub if the wheel is not sitting flat so this is the solution we came up with. Technically you won't see it with the power reserve system in place anyways, but I think it's a cool idea.


That's it for now. I will have to try to take some better pics as these don't help explain a damn thing I said in this post. But I guess if you are into watchmaking you will get the idea...

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment