Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week 18 Nov. 22-27, 2010

This week was the official start of our WOSTEP school watch. As you may or may not know, the school had their own caliber (W-01) manufactured and our class is the first one to use it. Like I said before we are not allowed as much freedom with design as the previous classes and that's why I wanted to do my own side project.

Anyways, we still have to do a bunch of work to the watches. We have to make locating pins and refinish all the parts and make decorations. Nothing too complicated but still work. So this week we started by getting all the parts the school has received so far. I made the locating pins and started some of the refinishing work. Here are some pictures.

You can see in these pics the spotting of the gear train. This finish is done to hide the milling marks from the cutters used. It is traditional in watchmaking and is seen on many watches.



I got watch number 0006. The first 4 were reserved for the school. I didn't really care which one I got though...


Unfortunately I scratched one part of the spotting I did already so I have to go back and redo it.


And here are some of the bridges. the underside has to be finished as well, even though no one will ever see it. 


As of this weekend I am just making some screws for both the W-01 (WOSTEP) and AMS1 (my watch). I'll just refer to them like that to create less confusion. Screws are not really the most exciting thing to make, but they have to be done so I might as well get them over with. There are not too many screws for the W-01 watch but my watch has over 30 screws, and 15 different kinds of screws. I really should've planned that better... 

I did make a few things for the AMS1 watch this week. As I said last week, I made a click. Well here is the picture of that...


And this week I made the click spring for it. I'm not really sure if it's going to work yet, but I hope so. I am planning to hide it underneath the click so it won't be seen. This makes it quite small and delicate. But I can't really test it out until I make all the bridges anyways so more on that later.

I was also able to harden and temper my moon phase wheel. I also sandblasted the top and it is almost ready to be decorated. I have two other spare wheels to test some decoration on but it is going to look great I think. Here is just a picture of how the system is going to work with the star wheel and cam I made last week. In this pic the star wheel and cam are not fixed yet so it doesn't look quite right, but hopefully you get the idea.


And lastly I wanted to show the diagram of my power reserve system. It looks pretty complicated and I suppose most people wont have a clue what the hell is even going on here but I find it interesting and wanted to share anyways. Feel free to ask any questions about it or anything else. Cya!

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I really enjoy reading your blog! I have the upmost respect for the work you are showing us here. As I'm currently studying to be a watchmaker myself so I know how small all these parts are. Unfortunately, going to Wostep wasn't an option for me, so the best I could do was following the evening course @ the only watchschool in Belgium (Antwerp).

    Could you give us some more info about how the decorating is done? I'd like to experiment with it myself and a good push in the back would be helpful!

    Best regards,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you are enjoying the blog Peter. Which decorating would you like info on? I assume it's the spotting from this post so I'll just explain quickly about it.

    It's called spotting, stippling or perlage (or pearlage I don't know how to spell it). It is a cloud looking pattern kinda similar to some ceilings in houses I've seen before. It is done by using a rubber type bit of a specific diameter pressed onto the surface in an overlapping pattern. Not sure what kind of bit or where to get them. We have a machine with indexing on it so I just used that to help with the even pattern.

    Let me know if you want any more specific info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you take some pictures of the machine set up? I'm curious on how the indexing takes place to keep up with a steady pattern. (if you have some spare time ofcourse) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter: here is a video of the M1 machine I use to do the spotting. First you put your piece on the rotating table and center the area you are planning to spot. Then you can move the x and/or y axis to different radiuses. Then you just turn the table a certain amount of degrees depending on how far out you are from the center and make a spot. then you just turn the table again the same amount and make another spot, overlapping the previous one. It gets a bit more complicated in non circular areas and mostly has to be done by hand. The drill shaft is directly above the table. It's not visible in this video because you can remove it and put a microscope in which is what you use to center your piece. I hope this is enough info...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfj8mM6bDhM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aaron, Thanks for the explication & the video! Ofcourse I don't have access to such M1 machine, but I guess an other milling machine, or a drill press equiped with a cross table can be used as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete